ICOM Curricula Guidelines for Museum Professional Development
Career Tree - Curricula Guidelines - About the Guidelines - Development Process - Resources
|Selected Resources for Developing Museology Curricula|
The following is a list of curricula resources about museology training needs, content development and instructional strategies. The document is intended to complement the "ICOM Curricula Guidelines for Professional Development in Museums". Most citations have been written since 1990 and are available publicly. An asterisk symbol (*) following the citation indicates a retrieval source is noted at the conclusion of this section.
Association of Science-Technology
Centers. What Research Says About Learning in Science Museums. Washington,
DC: ASTC, 1990. (ISBN: 0-944040-20-9)
Arinze, Emmanuel N., Mounir Bouchenaki, et al. "Personnel and Training." In What Museums for Africa? Heritage in the Future. Proceedings of the Encounters Benin, Ghana, Togo, Nov. 1991. Paris: ICOM, 1992 Vol. II Day Two, Session 1, Theme 1, pp.91-156. (ISBN 92-9012-112-2) (Available from ICOM)*
Astudillo, Lucia. Museum Training in Latin America and the Caribbean - Needs and Existing Facilities. Regional Project for Cultural Heritage and Development in Latin America and the Caribbean. Lima, Peru: UNDP/UNESCO, 1990 (Available from author in Spanish and English)*
Bady, Jean-Pierre, "France's New National School for the Heritage: L'Ecole Nationale du Patrimoine" in Museum Management and Curatorship, Vol.11, No. 3, September 1992.
- - - - -, "The Ecole Nationale Du Patrimoine Since 1990: Its Role in the Recruitment and Training of Curators" in Museum Management and Curatorship, Vol. 18, No. 3 , September 2000, pp. 289 - 294. (ISSN 0260-4779) A French-language version of the article is available in Musees et collections publiques de France, No 221/222, 1998/1999.
Baeker, Greg and Leslie Oliver. Mapping Professional Competencies for Canadian Museums. Ottawa: Applied Cultural Principles, 1996. (Available from CMA)*
Barnhart, Terry, "Serving Many Masters: A Perspective on Integrating Knowledge and Skills in Applied History" in The Public Historian. Vol. 21, No. 3 (Summer 1999).
Bates, G.W. Museum Jobs from A-Z. Fort Lauderdale, Fl: Batax Museum Publishing, 1994. (ISBN 0-9629759-4-x)
Berry, Nancy and Susan Mayer, editors. Museum Education History, Theory,
and Practice. Reston, VA: The National Art Education Association, 1989.
Birtley, Margaret, guest edtor. "Australian Museums and Cultural Diversity," entire issue of Museum National, the publication of Museums Australia Inc., Vol. 6, No. 3, February 1998.
Borun, Minda, et al. Family Learning in Museums. The PISEC Perspective. Philadelphia: The Philadelphia-Camden Informal Science Education Collaborative, The Franklin Institute, 1998.
Brooking, Dolo. "Putting a Mustache on the Mona Lisa: Violating Expectations in Teaching." In Journal on Excellence in College Teaching. Vol. 6, No. 2, 1995.
Brooks, Mary, Janey Cronyn and Alison Lister. Interdisciplinary Education in Action: The Context and Concepts Defining the Development of Three Interlinked Conservation and Curatorial Masters Programmes. In "Preprints ICOM-CC Triennial Meeting, Lyons, 1999.
Canadian Heritage Information Network (CHIN). Intellectual Property Management Series. Quebec: Government of Canada. (Available from CHIN)*
Canadian Museums Association. Proceedings from the CMA Trainers Workshop Montreal 1990 - Curriculum Development. Ottawa: CMA, 1991. (Available from CMA)*
- - - - - . The Training and Development Group's Response to the Human Resource Strategy. The Challenge of Training and Professional Development in the Museum Sector, Proceedings Fourth CMA Trainers Workshop. Ottawa: CMA, 1994. (Available from CMA)*
Canadian Museums Human Resource Planning Committee. Consultation Paper: People, Survival, Change and Success, Towards a Human Resource Strategy for the Future of Canadian Museums. Ottawa: CMA, 1993. (Available from CMA)*
- - - - - . People, Survival, Change and Success: A Human Resource Action Strategy for the Canadian Museum Community. Ottawa: CMA, 1995. ISBN: 0-919160-33-1 (Available from CMA)*
- - - - -. The Workforce of the Future: Competencies for the Canadian Museum Community. Ottawa: CMA, 1997. (Available from CMA and http://www. chin.gc.ca)*
- - - - - . The Workforce of the Future: Competencies for the Canadian Museum Community: Supplement. Ottawa: CMA, 1999. (Available from CMA and http://www.chin.gc.ca)*
Cato, Paisley S., R. Robert Waller, Lynn Sharp, John E. Simmons, and Stephen L. Williams. Developing Staff Resources for Managing Collections. Martinsville, Virginia: Virginia Museum of Natural History Press, 1996, pp. I+71. (Available from Heritage Preservation)*
Chandler, Karen A. "Rethinking the Use of the Case Study in the Arts Management Classroom" in The Journal of Arts Management, Law and Society, Vol. 29, No 4, Winter 2000, pp. 244-270. (ISSN 1063-2921)
Chong, Derrick. "Re-Readings in Arts Management" in The Journal of Arts Management, Law and Society, Vol. 29, No. 4, Winter 2000, pp. 290-303. (ISSN 1063-2921)
"Coaching for Careers," in Museums Journal, London: Museum Association, Vol. 99, No.8, August 1999, p. 57. (ISSN 0-027-416-X)
Cote, Line and Denis Samson. Guide to Strategic Planning of Human Resources in the Museum Sector. Quebec: La Societe Des Musees Quebecois, 1996. (Available from La Societe Des Musees Quebecois)*
CREAT. National Museums Competency Standards. Kings Cross, Australia: Culture, Recreation, Education and Training Australia. CREAT Australia, 1994. (Available from CREAT Australia; note - published under CREAT Australia's former name, Arts Training Australia)*
Cronyn, J.M. and K. Foley, editors. A qualified community: towards internationally agreed standards of qualification for conservation. Proceedings ICOM-CC Training Working Group Interim Meeting April 1995, London: English Heritage.
Cummins, A. Museums and Beyond Training Needs and Resources in the Caribbean, 1990 National Centre for Cultural Heritage Science Studies. Barbardos: Museum Studies Cultural Heritage Management Programs, 1989.
Danilov, Victor J. Museums Careers and Training: A Professional Guide. Westport, Conn.: Greenwood, 1994. (ISBN 0-313-28105-x)
Davis, Peter. Museums and the Natural Environment: The Role of Natural History Museums in Biological Conservation. London: Leicester University Press, 1996. (ISBN 0 7185 1548 X)
Department of the Interior, National Park Service, National Center for Cultural Resource Stewardship and Partnerships, Heritage Preservation Services. Proposed Revisions to The Secretary of the Interior's Historic Preservation Professional Qualification Standards, Washington, DC, USA 1997. (Available from NPS and published in Federal Register, 6/20/97.)
Devenish, David C. Museum Display Labels A Philosophy and Practice of Preparing Written Labels and Illustrations for use in Museum Displays. Available from Science City, JBS Haldane Avenue Calcutta, 700046, India for $10/US.
Dubberly, Sara, editor. Careers in Museums: A Variety of Vocations. Washington, DC: American Association of Museums, 1994. (Available from AAM)*
Dixon, Nancy M. "The Organizational Learning Cycle" in Muse, Vol. XII, No. 4, Winter 1995, pp. 38 - 42 (in English), pp. 43 - 47 (in French). (ISSN:0820 - 0165)*
Duckworth, W. Donald, Hugh H. Genoways, and Carolyn L. Rose. Preserving Natural Science Collections: Chronicle of Our Environmental Heritage. Washington, DC: National Science Foundation and National Institute for the Conservation of Cultural Property, 1993, Appendix A: pp. 95-101. (Available from Heritage Preservation)*
Durant, John, Editor. Museums and the Public Understanding of Science. London: The Science Museum, 1992. (ISBN 0 901805 49 1)
Edson, Gary, Editor. International Directory of Museum Training. London, New York: Routledge, 1995. (ISBN: 0-415-12257-0)
- - - - -. Museum Ethics. London, New York: Routledge, 1997.
Falk, John and Lynn D. Dierking. The Museum Experience. Washington, DC: Whaleback Books, 1992. (Available from AAM ISBN 0-929590-06-6)*
Fluegel, Katharina und Arnold Vogt (Hrgs.), 40 Jahr Museologen-Aausbildung in Deutschlan. Beitraege zu deutsch-deutschen Kulturdialogen, Alfter 1993.
Fluegel, Katharina und Wolfgang Ernst (Hrgs.), Museologie als Wissenschaft und Beruf in der modernen Welt,Weimar 1995
Galla, Amareswar. Heritage Curricula and Cultural Diversity. Canberra: Office of Multicultural Affairs Department of Prime Minister and Cabinet: Australian Government Publishing Service, 1993. (Available from author)*
- - - - - . "Museum Training Curricula and Cultural Pluralism.," In Towards a coordinated national policy on museums: Proceedings of a symposium held at the University of Canberra, June 18, 1990. Canberra, A.C.T.: Office of Multicultural Affairs: Council of Australian Museum Associations: National Centre for Cultural Heritage Science Studies: ACT Branch of the Museums Association of Australia Inc., 1990. (Available from author)*
- - - - - . Training for Museums and Beyond. National Centre for Cultural Heritage Science Studies. 15th ICOM General Conference, The Hague Netherlands, 1989. (Available from author)*
- - - - - . "Training Towards Tomorrow." In Proceedings of the conference held at the National Centre for Cultural Heritage Science Studies, University of Canberra, Nov.- Dec. 1989. Bulletin of the Conference of Museum Anthropologists, A. Galla, Guest editor. Canberra: Conference of Museum Anthropologists, April 1990, No.23. (Available from author)*
- - - - - and Darryl McIntyre. "Issues in multicultural heritage management," Proceedings of a symposium held at the University of Canberra, 16-17 June 1990. Canberra: Office of Multicultural Affairs: Council of Australian Museum Associations; Museums Association of Australia Inc. ACT : National Centre for Cultural Heritage Science Studies, 1990. (Available from author)*
Guichen, Gael de and Benoit de Tapol. Climate in Museums. Rome: ICCROM, 1998. (Available in English, French and Spanish from ICCROM)*
Glaser, Jane R with A. Zenetou. Museums: A Place to Work. New York: Routledge, 1996. (ISBN # 0 415 12256-2 )
Hamp, Steven K. et all. "Risk and Opportunity: the Museum as Career Choice," in Museum News. Vol. 77, No. 4, pp. 32-40.
Hein, George E. Learning in the Museum. London: Routledge, 1998. (Available from AAM) (ISBN 0-415-09776-2)
Hipperson, Gayl, "If the Shoe Fits: HR Planning for Small Museums," in Muse, Winter 1995, pp. 32- 34. (ISSN: 0820-0165)*
ICOM/ICTOP. Museums, Catalysts for Community Development - Proceedings of the Annual Meeting 1996. Lubbock, Texas: Museum of Texas Tech University, 1998. (ISBN 0-9640188-8-8)
- - - - -. The Professional Training of Museum Personnel: A Review of the Activities and Policies of ICOM, 1947 - 1980. Leicester, England: Leicestershire Museums, Art Galleries and Records Service, 1980. (ISBN 0 85022 0823)
ICOM International Committee for Museum Security (ICMS). Study Series No. 4. Paris: International Council of Museums 1997. (Available from ICOM in English and French versions)*
ICTOP. 26th Annual Conference International Committee for the Training of Personnel, Lisbon, Portugal, October 1994. Cadernos de Sociomuseologia 6 - 1996. Lisboa: Universidade Lusofona de Humanidades e Tecnologias, 1996. (Available from Universidade Lusofona de Humanidades e Tecnologias)*
- - - - - . ICTOP Proceedings. ICOM Triennial Conference Quebec September 1992. Quebec: Laval University, 1997. (Available from Universite Laval for $5.00 US)*
- - - - -. Museum Training and Cultural Diversity. Papers submitted by their authors in advance of the 1998 meeting of ICTOP, 18th General Conference of ICOM. Geelong, Victoria, Australia: Deakin University, 1998. (ISBN 0 7300 2496 2)
- - - - - . Museum Training as Career-Long Learning in a Changing World. - A Shared Responsibility 1990 ICTOP Annual Meeting Proceedings. Washington, DC: Smithsonian Institution, 1991.
Irvine, Lois. "Competency Frameworks and Profiles: Project Background and Descriptive Outline" Calgary: unpublished, 1995 (Available from CMA)*
- - - - - . "The Competent Museum Worker: Reflections on How Competencies and Mapping Work Together to Enhance Our Skills and Careers". Calgary: unpublished, 1997. (Available from CMA)*
- - - - -. "The Workforce of the Future: Competencies for the Canadian Museum Community Supplement: Profiles for Functional Competencies". Calgary: unpublished, Draft 1998. (Available from CMA)*
- - - - - . " Working Paper: Review of Competency Work in the Museum Field and Potential Directions for the Canadian Project". Calgary: unpublished, 1995 (Available from CMA)*
Keene, Suzanne. Managing Conservation in Museums. Oxford: Butterworth-Heinemann, 1996.
Legget, Jane. Towards a New Zealand Museums Standards Scheme, a report prepared for National Services Museum of New Zealand Te Papa Tongarewa. Wellington: Museum of New Zealand Te Papa Tongarewa 1999. (Available from Museum of New Zealand Te Papa Tongarewa)*
Lister, Mary. Museum Position Descriptions and Organizational Charts. Washington, DC: American Association of Museums, Technical Information Service, 1999. ISBN 0-931201-60-8)
Locke, Monika, and Michael Dauskardt. Wissenscahftliche Volontariate an den Museen in der Bundesrepublik Deutschland, Berlin 1996. (Mitteilunge und Berichte aus dem Institut fur Museumskunde, Nr. 5, Staatliche Museen zu Berlin-Preussischer Kulturbesitz, Institut fur Museumskunde, Auf der Halde 1, D-144195 Berlin)
Martin, Dan J. and J. Dennis Rich. "Assessing the Role of Formal Education in Arts Administration Training," in The Journal of Arts, Management, Law and Society. Vol. 28, No. 1, Spring 1998. pp. 4-26.
Maroevic, I. Introduction to Museology - The European Approach. Munich: Verlag Dr. Christian Mueller-Straten, 1998. ( English language version ISBN 3-932704-52-5)
- - - - -. "Meduodnosi izmedu muzeoloskog obrazovanja i skolovanja za zastitu kulturne bastine" Informatica museologica, (1990) Vol. XXI, 3-4, pp.56-58.
_ _ _ _ _. 'Pla d'estudis de museologia de la Facultat de Filosofia de la Universitat de Zagreb/Study programme of museology at the Faculty of Philosophy University of Zagreb/Croatia' De Museus, (1993) 4, pp. 29-30, pp.11-12.
_ _ _ _ _ . 'Zastita muzejskih zbirki u studiju muzeologije na Filozofskom fakultetu u Zagrebu' Informatica museologica, (1995) Vol. 26, 1-4, pp. 22-23.
_ _ _ _ _ . 'Studij za skolovanje strucnjaka za zastitu kulturne bastine', Vijesti muzealaca i konzervatora, (1997), 2, pp. 23-24.
_ _ _ _ _ . 'University Training in Museology: the University of Zagreb's Experience' ISSOM, Proceedings of the international symposium "Museology for Tomorrow's World," Masaryk University, Brno (Tschech Republic) (1997), pp. 126-130.
_ _ _ _ _ . 'Museology as a Discipline of Information Sciences," in Nordisk Museologi, 1977, pp.77-92. (Available from Nordisk Museologi)*
_ _ _ _ _ . 'Museum Changes and Training Needs' ICOM/ICTOP Symposium Museum Training as Career-long Learning in a Changing World, Washington, DC : Smithsonian Institution, 1990.
Matelic, Candace T. and Elizabeth M. Brick, editors. Cooperstown Conference on Professional Training: Needs, Issues, and Opportunities for the Future Conference Proceedings November 16-19, 1989. Cooperstown, NY: American Association for State and Local History, 1990. (ISBN 0-942063-08-2)
McCormick, Terry, editor. The Skills Challenge for Cultural Businesses. Bradford England: MTI, 1997. (Available from MTI)*
Mensch, Peter van, editor. Professionalising the Muses The Museum Profession in Motion. Amsterdam: AHA Books - Art History Architecture, 1989.
Moffat, Hazel and Vicky Woollard. Museum and Gallery Education: a Manual of Good Practice. London: The Stationery Office, 1999.
Museumspaedagogik und Beruf in der modernen Welt, Verlag und Datenbank fuer Geisteswissenschaften, Weimar, 1995.
Museums and Galleries Commission. Training in Conservation : A Guide to Full-time Courses in the United Kingdom. London: Museum and Galleries Commission, 1993. (Available from MGC)*
- - - - - . Developing and Training Staff in Museums and Galleries: MGC Guidelines for Good Practice. London: MGC, 1997. (Available from MGC)*
Museum of New Zealand Te Papa Tongarewa. National Training Framework for Museums: A Report prepared for Te Papa National Services by Skill Development Associates Limited. Wellington: Museum of New Zealand Te Papa Tongarewa, 1999.
Museum Training Institute. Careers in Museums, Heritage and Conservation. Bradford England: MTI, 1997. (Available from CHNTO)*
- - - - - . Investors in People: A Practical Guide for Museum, Gallery and Heritage Organisations. Bradford England: MTI, 1996. (Available from CHNTO)*
- - - - - . National and Scottish Vocational Qualification Packs. Bradford England: MTI, no date. (Available from Qualifications for Industry, 80 Richardshaw lane, Leeds LS28 6BN, UK)
- - - - - . National and Scottish Vocational Qualifications in Conjunction with Higher Education. (Guides for Trainers and Students). Bradford England: MTI, 1996. (Available from CHNTO)*
- - - - -. A Review of Management Training and Development in the Museums, Galleries and Heritage Sector. Bradford England: MTI, 1997. (Available from CHNTO)*
National Institute for the Conservation of Cultural Property. A Suggested Curriculum for Training in Ethnographic and Archaeological Conservation. Washington, D. C.: National Institute for the Conservation of Cultural Property, Inc., 1984. (Available from Heritage Preservation)*
- - - - - . Training for Collections Care and Maintenance: A Suggested Curriculum. Volume I: Archaeology and Ethnography. Washington, D.C.: National Institute for the Conservation of Cultural Property, 1990. (Available from Heritage Preservation)*
- - - - - . Training for Collections Care and Maintenance: A Suggested Curriculum. Volume II: History. Washington, D.C.: National Institute for the Conservation of Cultural Property, 1991. (Available from Heritage Preservation)*
- - - - - . Training for Collections Care and Maintenance. A Suggested Curriculum. Volume III: Natural Sciences. Washington, DC: National Institute for the Conservation of Cultural Property, 1991. (Available from Heritage Preservation)*
- - - - -. Training for Collections Care and Maintenance: A Suggested Curriculum. Volume IV: Fine Arts. Washington, D. C.: National Institute for the Conservation of Cultural Property, 1991. (Available from Heritage Preservation)*
- - - - - . Training for Collections Care and Maintenance: A Suggested Curriculum. Volume V: Library and Archives Collections. Washington, D. C.: National Institute for the Conservation of Cultural Property, 1996. (Available from Heritage Preservation)*
Newbery, Chris. National Vocational Qualifications for Museum Personnel in the UK with Special Reference to Museum Documentation. Quality and Documentation, CIDOC Annual Meeting Proceedings. Neurenburg: CEDOC, 1997.
Niec, Halina. Cultural Rights and Wrongs. Paris: UNESCO Publishing / Leicester: Institute of Art and Law, 1998
Pattillo, Anne, Aneta Wineera, Lesley Harwood. Museums' Training Framework - Building a Stronger Museum Sector Wellington: National Services Museum of New Zealand Tongarewa, 1997. (Available from Te Papa National Services)*
Pearson, Colin. "Resources Available for Educating and Training in Conservation" in Current Issues, Initiatives , and Future Directions for the Preservation and Conservation of Natural History Collections. (Carolyn L. Rose, Stephen L. Williams, and J. Gisbert, editors). Madrid: Consejeria de Educacion y Cultura, Vol. 3.
Ravenhill, Philip. "Public Education, National, and Museum Scholarship in Africa." In Culture and Development in Africa - Proceedings of an International Conference held at The World Bank, Washington, DC April 1992, Ismail Serageldin and June Taboroff, editors. Washington DC: World Bank, 1994. Vol. II, Day Two, Session I, Theme 1: pp.272- 290. (ISBN # 0-8213-2780-1)
Rosvall, Jan. "Conservation Education". In ICOMOS Canada Newsletter Special Issue, Annual Meeting and Congress, 1989. ICOMOS, 1989, pp. 10-15.
- - - - -. "Education of Conservationists and Museologists in Sweden". Presented at La Formation des conservteursde Biens Culturels en Europe. Paris, 9-11 Dec 1993, Ecole Nationale du Patrimoine.
- - - - . "Graduate program in integrated conservation of the built environment, Gothenburg, Sweden". In Ferrara I: Development of Post-graduate Training in Architectural and Urban Conservation. Rome: ICCROM, 1991, pp.65-72.
- - - - . "Training and education in conservation. A proposal for Nordic cooperation." In Building Conservation - 88 symposium. Helsinki, 22-26 August, 1988. Helsinki: University of Technology, National Board of Antiquities, ICCROM, 1989, pp. 53-62.
Rubenstein, Rosalyn. "Cultural Heritage Audience Studies," a professional resource and tool kit available from Canadian Heritage, Government of Canada Web site http://www.pch.gc.ca/arts/library/rubenste/study_e.htm
Ruge-Schatz, Angelika, Editor with Karola Dulm. Innovations in Media and Organizational Changes in Museum: How should training prepare personnel for the new challenges in the museum workplace? Proceeding so the 30th annual conference of the International Committee for the Training of Personnel (ICTOP '97) in Berlin/Germany, 22 to 25 September 1997. Berlin: FHTW-ICTOP '97, 1998. (ISBN 3-931221-29-6) (Available from Wissens-und-Technologietransfer c/o Angsgar Keller, Treskowallee 8D-10313 Berlin, Germany, Fax: (30) 501 92 477 Cost DM 25)
Sachatello-Sawyer, Bonnie, "Learning from Learning Research"
in ASTC Dimensions,
Scheffel, Regine. Positionspapier zum Taetigkeitsbereich und Berufsbild in der Museumsdokumentation, Berlin 1998. (Mitteilungen und Berichte aus dem Institut fur Musemskunde Nr. 10, Staatliche Museen zu Berlin-Preussischer Kulturbesitz, Institut fur Museumskunde, Auf der Halde 1, D-14195 Berlin)
Schuck-Wersig, Petra, and Gernot Wersig. Museumskunde-ein neues Berufsfeld im Museumswesen. Berlin: Materialien zum neuen Studiengang an der Fachhochschule fur Technik and Wirtschaft Berlin 1993.
Scottish Museums Council. Managing Training and Development in Museums: A Guide. Norwich: The Stationery Office, 1997. (Available from The Stationery Office)*
Siegel, Eric. "The Science Career Ladder at the New York Hall of Science" in Curator, December 1998, Vol. 41, No. 4, pp. 246 - 253.
Smith, Calvin B., Editor. ICOM Triennial Conference July 1995 ICTOP Proceedings Stavanger, Norway, July 1995 . Waco, Texas: Baylor University, 1996. (Available from Baylor University for $5.00 US)*
Spennemann, Dirk H.R. and David W. Look. Disaster Management Programs for Historic Sites. San Francisco: National Park Service and the Western Chapter of the Association for Preservation Technology: Albury, Australia: Charles Sturt University - The Johnstone Centre, 1998.
Steffan, Cindi, "Human Resource Planning at the Manitoba Museum of Man and Nature," in Muse, Winter 1995, pp. 24 - 27. (ISSN: 0820-0165)*
Stein, Tobie S., "Creating Opportunities for People of Color in Performing Arts Management" in The Journal of Arts Management, Law and Society, Vol. 29, No. 4, Winter 2000, pp. 304-318. (ISSN 1063-2921)
Suchy, Sherene, "Grooming New Millennium Museum Directors" in Museum International. Paris: UNESCO No. 206 (Vol. 52, No. 2, 2000) pp. 59 - 64. (ISSN 1350-0775)
Sutterfield, Carolyn and Sally Middlebrooks, "A Culture of Cooperation: Planning Professional Development for Science Centers" in ASTC Dimensions, March/April 2000, pp. 3-10. (ISSN 1528-820X)
Teather, J. Lynne, Judy Harvie and with Lynne Kurylo. Museum Shifts: A Fieldbook for Museum Career Planning and The Development of a Community of Learners for Museums. Toronto:1998. (Available from author)*
Te Papa National Services Museum of New Zealand. "Introduction to Visitor Surveys - How to Do Them, and How to Use the Results" in Technical Bulletin. Wellington: Museum of New Zealand Te Papa Tongarewa, Issue No. 3. (Available from Te Papa National Services)*
- - - - - ."Training Evaluation: a Guide for Museums" in Technical Bulletin. Wellington: Museum of New Zealand Te Papa Tongarewa, Issue No. 4 June 1998. (Available from Te Papa National Services)*
Thompson, Dianna, "What the HR Strategy is All About," in Muse, Winter 1995, p.8. (ISSN:0820-0165)*
Thorburn,, Dan, "Mentoring Strategies for Museums and Museum Workers: Potential Benefits and Risks" in Muse. March 1999, Vol. 16, No. 4. pp.34-37.
UNESCO-UN Development Programme. Museums and Museum Training in the English Speaking Caribbean. Paris: UNESCO, 1989.
Vella, Jane, Paula Berardinell, Jim Burrow. How Do They Know They Know: Evaluating Adult Learning. San Francisco: Jossey-Bass, 1998. (ISBN #0-7879-1047-3)
Walter, Charlie, "Building a Network: the Texas Informal Science Education Association" in ASTC Dimension, March / April 2000, p 11. (ISSN 1528-820X)
Wells, Marcella and Ross J. Loomis. "A Taxonomy of Museum Program Opportunities - Adapting a Model from Natural Resource Management." In Curator, December 1998, Vol. 41, No. 4, pp. 254 - 264.
Weil, Stephen E. "The Museum Management Institute: Its Genesis and Early Years." In Rethinking the Museum and other Mediations. Washington, DC and London: Smithsonian Press, 1990, pp. 131-140. (ISBN # 0-87474-948-4)
Selected list of general curriculum references
Bridges, William. Jobshift. London: Nicholas Brealey Publishing Limited, 1995.
Bruner, Jerome. The Culture of Education. Cambridge: Harvard University Press, 1996
Cunningham, Ian. The Wisdom of Strategic Learning. London: McGraw Hill Book Co., 1994.
Farquharson, Andy. Teaching in Practice. San Francisco: Jossey-Bass Inc., 1995. ( ISBN 0-7879-0128-8)
Gardner, Howard. Leading Minds: An Anatomy of Leadership. New York: Basic Books, 1995.
Gibson, Rowan, editor. Rethinking the Future. London: Nicholas Brealey Publishing Limited, 1996.
Goleman, Daniel. Emotional Intelligence: Why it can Matter More Than IQ. London: Bloomsbury, 1995.
Knowles, Malcolm S. The Adult Learner: A Neglected Species . Houston: Gulf Publishing Co., 1990. (ISBN 0-87201-074-0)
Kolb, David A. Experiential Learning: Experience as the Source of Learning and Development. Englewood Cliffs, NJ: Prentice Hall, 1984.
Mager, Robert F. The Mager Library, (a collection of books about Criterion Referenced Instruction). (Available from Center for Effective Performance, Inc.)*
- - - - - . Preparing Instructional Objectives (2nd edition). Palo Alto: Feron, 1975.
- - - - -. What Every Manager Should Know About Training (Available from Center for Effective Performance, Inc.)*
Morgan, Ronald R., Judith A. Ponticell, and Edward E. Gordon. Enhancing Learning in Training and Adult Education. Westport, Conn.: Praeger, 1998.
Niec, Halina, editor. Cultural Rights and Wrongs. Paris: UNESCO publishing, Leicester; Institute of Art & Law, 1998.
Schon, Donald A. The Reflective Practitioner: How Professionals Think in Action. New York: Basic Books, 1983. (ISBN 0-465-06878-2)
Senge, Peter M. The Fifth Discipline: the Art and Practice of the Learning Organization. New York: Doubleday / Currency, 1990.
Shenson, Howard L. How to Develop and Promote Successful Seminars and Workshops, The Definitive Guide to Creating and Marketing Seminars, Workshops, Classes and Conferences. New York: John Wiley and Sons, Inc., 1993.Sources of Information for the Museum Sector
AAM - American Association of Museums 1575 Eye Street, NW, Suite 400 Washington, DC 20005 Tel: 202-289-1818 Fax: 202-289-6578 Website: http://www.aam-us.org
AGPS - Australian Government Publishing Service Commonwealth Information Services GPO Box 84 Canberra ACT 2601 AUSTRALIA
ASTC - Association of Science-Technology Centers 1025 Vermont Avenue, NW, suite 500 Washington, DC 20005-3516 Tel: 202-783-7200 Fax: 202-783-7207 Website; http://www.astc.org
Astudillo, Lucia L Director, Museo de los Metales - Fundacion Equinoccial P.O. Box 1554 Cuenca, Ecuador Tel: 593-7- 831636 Email: alcuenca @impsat.net.ec
Asociacion Espanola de Museologos CTM. Edificio Aldeasa, puerta 7 Carret. Villaverde a Vallecas, Km. 3,5 28018 Madrid, Spain Tel: 91/785 58 69 Fax: 91/785 51 70 Publishes Revista de Museologia four times/year
Baylor University Calvin B. Smith Chair, Department of Museum Studies and Director, Strecker Museum PO Box 97154 Waco, Texas 76798-7154 USA
Center for Effective Performance, Inc. 4250 Perimeter Park South, Suite #131 Atlanta, GA 30341 Tel: 404-458-4080 Fax: 404-458-9190
CREATE Australia - Culture Research Education and Training Enterprise Australia (incorporates the previous group: Arts Training Australia) Postal: Suite 1, level 9 418A Elizabeth St. Surry Hills New South Wales 2010 Australia Tel: 61 2 9211 5342 Fax: 61 2 9211 5346 Email: email@example.com Web: http://www.create.aust.com
FHTW - Fachhochschule fur Technik und Wirtschaft Berlin Treskovallee 10313 Berlin Germany Tel: 030 / 5019-2283 Fax: 030 / 5019-2477
Galla, Amar Australian Centre for Cultural University Research University of Canberra ACT 2600 Australia Fax: 61 26201 5999 Email: Galla@Science.Canberra.edu
Heritage Preservation (formerly NIC - National Institute for the Conservation of Cultural Property) 1730 K Street NW Suite 566 Washington, DC 20006 Tel: 202-634-1422 Fax: 202-634-1435 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org Website: http://www.heritagepreservation.org
ICCROM - see PREMA
ICOM - International Council of Museums Maison de L'Unesco 1, Rue Miollis 75732 Paris Cedex 15 France Tel: 1 47 34 05 00 Fax: 43 06 78 62 Website: http://www.icom.org
MGC - Museums and Galleries Commission 16 Queen Annes Gate London SW1 England, UK
MTI - Museum Training Institute (now CHNTO - Cultural Heritage National Training Organisation) 1st floor, Glyde House, Glydegate Bradford BD5 0UP UK
Museum Aktuell Kunzweg 23 D-81243 Munchen Germany Attention: Dr. Christian Muller-Straten
Museum Studies & Cultural Heritage Management Programs National Centre for Cultural Heritage Science Studies PO Box 1 Belconnen ACAT 2616 Canberra Australia
NIC - See Heritage Preservation above
Nordisk Museologi Museumstjenesten Lysgard DK-8800 Viborg, Danmark Fax: +45-86 66 76 11 Website: http://www.umu.se/nordic.museology
NPS - National Park Service Heritage Preservation Services - Links to the Past National Center for Cultural Resource Stewardship and Partnership Programs United States Department of the Interior Mail Stop 2255 1849 C Street, NW Washington, DC 20240 USA Website: http://www2.cr.nps.gov
Cultural Resource Training Directory Technical Preservation Services United States Department of the Interior Room NC200 1849 C Street, NW Washington, DC 20240 USA Tel: 202-343-1146 Fax: 202-343-3803 Email: email@example.com Website: http://tps.cr.nps.gov/directory/
PREMA - Prevention in Museums in Africa ICCROM - International Centre for the Prevention and the Restoration of Cultural Property 13, Via Di San Michele 00153 Rome, ITALY Tel: 6 587-901 Fax: 6 588-4265
Research Institute for Cultural Heritage Curtin University Western Australia Tel: 61-8-9266-9266 Website: http://www.curtin.edu.au/curtin/dept/rich
Routledge Cheriton House, North Way, Andover Hants SP10 5BE UK Tel: (44 1264) 342 779 Fax: (44 1264) 342 3005 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org 29 West 35th Street, New York New York 10001, USA
The Stationary Office The Publications Centre; P.O. Box 276; London, SW8 5DT; England, UK. General inquiries 0171 873 0011; Tel orders: 0171 873 9090; Fax orders: 0171 873 8200
Societe des Musees Quebecois C.P. 8888, succursale Centre-Ville, UQAM Montreal, Quebec H3C 3P8 Canada Tel: 514-987-3264 Fax: 514-987-3379 ?? RNET (CAN-SMQ@IMMEDIA.CA)
Teather, J. Lynne, PhD. Museum Studies Program University of Toronto, rm. 6003 130 St. George St. Toronto, Ontario Canada M5S 1Y5 Tel: 416-978-6274 Email: email@example.com
Te Papa National Services Museum of New Zealand Te Papa Tongarewa Cable Street P.O. Box 467 Wellington, New Zealand Sandra Penfold, Administrator Tel: 64-4 381 7000 Fax: 64-4 381 7070 Website: http://www.nzmuseums.co.nz
Universidade Lusofona de Humanidades e Tecnologias Centro de Estudos de Sociomuseologia Campo Grande, 376 - 1700 Lisboa, Portugal Tel: 351 1 751 01 60
Universite Laval Philippe Dube, Professeur agrege et Director du Diplome de 2e cycle en Museologie Quebec City, Quebec Canada G1K 7P4
World Bank - International Bank for Reconstruction and Development
1818 H St., NW Washington, DC 20433 Bookstore Tel: 202-473-1155 Website:
Career Tree - Curricula Guidelines - About the Guidelines - Development Process - Resources
Maintained by the Smithsonian Center for
Education and Museum Studies
Updated 28 August 2009